Sunday, April 7, 2019

The cure for procrastination: mono-focus

So I'm in the midst of a month-long youtube diet and decided (consciously) to enjoy some vegging out this afternoon. After a sampling of my usual feed of murder mystery, humour and ack I don't even remember what went before... I'm reminded why I decided I really need to get out of this as a habit.

I'm so glad an episode from my latest organizing guru popped up in my "recommended" before I tuned it out again (using Block Site). My sister in organizing has an approach to getting things done that I haven't tried: picking one thing and focusing on that only for a whole month.

In her case, it's a diet on learning. I didn't know taking a break from new info was an option, but that actually sounds delicious! Come to think of it, after starting up a new business (and website) and retraining in a new industry and learning to sew and relearning to knit a project and ... and ... and... I think my brain needs a rest! (I just signed up for a free coding course ... maybe I'll leave that for now.) I've recently developed a philosophy of "just one thing" (vs multi-tasking and listicles). Now she takes that a step further. So I'm going to pick one pet project this month.

Now, the mountain of paperwork that permeates every room of my house is a beast. That's a multi-year guilt-ridden heap that's recently been driven off my desk, at least, but I just hid a pile of unsightly boxes in my bedroom under a blanket. (That doesn't really work, as I know exactly what lurks under it.)

But maybe I can turn that on its ear. One of my newly revived skills is writing, and I've been procrastinating writing minutes for a meeting, writing copy for our new website, writing a code of ethics, writing a sci fi novel, writing scripts for new podcasts ... What if my One Month Challenge is to ... write every day? By the end of the month, 30 writing projects will eliminate a pile of procrastination and given me serious practice at the thing I want to excel at. (Yes, I'm aware of the dangling proposition.)

One of the writing projects arose out of a recent workshop on 'zines (which I've also committed to this month). Just finishing that project has the potential to empty, or at least assign, an entire box of old papers that would have a new life.

As opposed to a chore (exercise or cooking healthy meals, say), this actually sounds like a fun challenge!

(And in case you want to see this one episode, focused on one method to accomplish one thing, I recommend "One Month Challenge".)

No comments:

Post a Comment