Thursday, April 4, 2019

Mini-project: corralling glue sticks

This mini-project solves a recurring problem: getting somewhere with a tool, but no attachments.


I needed my glue gun to put the finishing touches on some slippers for a fashion show, so I packed my glue gun into my backpack and walked over to the venue. Heated the glue gun up, tracked down the slippers and ... no glue sticks. After fighting to coax the last bit of glue out with the end of a toothbrush, my sewing instructor came up with a brilliant solution: a glue stick bandolier!

Needless to say, someone else has already thought of that. So I rummaged thru my trunk for an old pair of jeans, cut a 3" wide slice of denim out of them from cuff to cuff and found a long piece of grosgrain ribbon 1" wide. Following Miss Demeanor's instructions, I glued the ribbon to the denim starting about my collarbone and working down stick by stick until there were slots for a dozen. 

It was a little tricky gluing close to the sticks, and some got a little glue stuck to them, in spite of trying to rotate the sticks as soon as the ribbon was pressed into place. (I shaved any ridges off with a paring knife so they'll still fit in the gun.) 

Then I overlapped and glued the ends of the denim strip, leaving a few inches of excess seam dangling. That came in handy for tying the loop of the velcro strip that wraps around the coil of cord. 
Finally, I glued a couple loops of ribbon to fit the glue gun for a "holster".

This is my left-handed bandolier and holster.
 I'm armed and dangerous!

No comments:

Post a Comment